Most libraries have a summer reading challenge–St. Louis County has a great one each year. Katie and I have participated for several years, and we plan to again this year. Most of them work like this: Read a certain number of minutes or a certain number of books and earn prizes throughout the summer, accumulating in a bigger prize at the end of the summer.
I thought it would be fun to do a 21-Day Pre-Summer Reading Challenge for kids and/or adults (or both!) during the busy springtime when weather is warmer, sports seasons are in full swing, days are longer, and school is busy. It’s still important to read, right?
Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body. —Richard Steele
A person who won’t read has no advantage over one who can’t read. —Mark Twain
Let us read and let us dance—two amusements that will never do any harm to the world. —Voltaire
More great reading quotes…here.
What is the 21-Day Pre-Summer Reading Challenge?
Between April 30 and May 25 (the beginning of Memorial Day Weekend), you need to read 21 days for 20 minutes each day (of course, you can read every day if you want!). You can read anything! It can be books to your kids; it can be a novel or self-help book; it can be a magazine; it can be a blog you’ve been meaning to check out. Anybody of any age can participate, by the way!
What it can’t be is Facebook posts or tweets or something similar…if you’re not sure, email me at margolynndill (at) gmail.com!
How do you sign up?
Go to the sign-up form on this page here.
How much does it cost to participate?
Participation is free!
How do I keep track of what I read or my child reads?
You can download a record sheet at the link above for any member of your family who wants to participate! You record daily readings on this sheet.
What do I get if myself or my child completes the reading challenge for 21 total days before May 25?
- Each person who completes the reading challenge, and turns in their record sheet by May 30, 2018, will be entered to win a $20 Amazon gift card. One gift card will be awarded on June 15, 2018 to one person who completed the challenge and turned in their sheet. A bonus entry if you read every single day of the challenge (April 30 to May 25) for 20 minutes! (Plus, there are more ways to receive EXTRA entries–please see the record sheet on this page!)
- Each person who completes the reading challenge will be acknowledged on Margo’s blog!
- You will receive a digital badge, which you can post on your blog or social media account.
- You will receive a 25 percent off coupon for any of Margo’s Editor 911 services. This does NOT expire and can be used for any member of your family.
- If you or your family have any service, charity, event, anything family-friendly to promote, and you finish the challenge, you can do so on Margo’s FB page and/or blog.
- Hopefully, you will also receive a good reading habit that will last throughout the summer and even further!
So what are you waiting for? Go here now and sign up for the reading challenge today!
Let me know in the comments below of summer events for writers you would like to share!